Sunday, April 3, 2011

Confessions of a Groupie

Pamela Des Barres: groupie, muse, and my hero. I have an infinite amount of respect and admiration for this woman. Now I know what you are thinking…. groupie??? Now let me rephrase the word “groupie” so that modern man can understand. Miss Pamela was a famous groupie during the 60’s and 70’s. During the time when being a groupie just meant that you enjoyed the company of musical groups. You hung around and partied with them, and yes even became good friends and had intimate or platonic relationships with them. It wasn't until later years when the word groupie was associated with just any girl who likes to fuck band members. Not to say there is anything wrong with that. A woman can do with her body what she pleases. But in today's society groupie takes on a negative connotation. One that I think we need to reclaim. And restore to it's original meaning.
So now that we are all up to speed with the word groupie, I can explain more about Miss Pamela. Now she started off like the typical wholesome, apple pie, American girl, but later became the free spirited, independent kindred live wire, we all know and love. She decorated her walls with photos of Elvis and Dion. She was infatuated with the Beatles and Stones as a youngin’. She made out with Jim Morrison. She daydreamed about Nicholas St. Nicholas (too the point she wrote a song about him called “the Ooh Ooh Man”). She had a passionate relationship with Jimmy Page. She hung out and babysat for the Zappas. She lived with Don Johnson. She was in the colorful all girl groupie group called the GTO’s (girls together outrageously) the “O” could stand for anything. She partied with Keith moon and The Who. She was an inspirational target for those glorious songs our favorite rock gods wrote. She has traveled all over the world, and has seen many beautiful things in her life. She has had the opportunity to spend time with many of the people we only wish we knew. She has lived the life, and still lives the life I know I hope and could only dream of having.
Her story isn’t all about great lays and boys. She has more to offer the reader. Miss Pamela is poet. One who could put even the most skilled poets to shame, and with her insightful poems and commentary is a new perspective on life. She helped me realize things I would have never even consider if it wasn’t for her story. She is a woman wise beyond her years, and the best part is that she isn’t some glorified celebrity like we have today. But a real woman, a real person, someone who you can relate to even though she has had an outrageous life. I being only 15 when I first read her book “ I’m With the Band: Confessions of a Groupie”, was able to relate. Miss Pamela brings you the reader into her life. She takes you through this amazing, exciting, compelling roller coaster. Every feeling, every emotion, you feel every tear through her words. Now I know that you probably don’t understand what I mean right now. But that’s the beauty of it. It takes you through your own personal journey, while she discovers herself. The only thing I could do really is encourage you to read it yourself. And I Promise you wont be sorry.
Miss Pamela is my hero. And if I can aspire to be anyone, it would be her. Reading her story is like reading a private diary, one with juicy details, insightful entries, and a real connection. That’s the thing with Pamela, is that you can actually connect with her. Now I can ramble on forever about this woman, but I haven’t enough time. But if I could tell her one thing, that one thing would be “thank you”.

No comments:

Post a Comment