Saturday, January 4, 2014

Bobby Soxer Baby

Pretty ribbons tied up into bows gracing the tops of our heads, rolled up socks and saddle shoes, these are the kind of things that make my heart light up with joy and dreaminess.

I adore the whole 1940's Bobby Soxer look! Well, the whole 1940's - 1950's look was a dream. But my favorite thing is looking like a schoolgirl from those eras. Soft wavy curls, ruby red lips, tight sweaters, white socks, scuffed up saddles shoes, vinyl records, and a smile to charm all the boys hearts!

It had been a while since I wore ribbons in my hair. In fact, I can't remember when the last time was. You should have seen the look on my face when my best friend brought over a late Christmas present for
me tied up in a pretty ribbon. I immediately tied this beautiful cream colored ribbon into my hair! And just like that I felt like a vintage sweetheart! It made me miss all the times I used to wear ribbons in my hair. Memories of myself from elementary school flashed through my head! I remember wanting to look just like Matilda and Sandy from Grease, haha! Even Judy Garland as Dorothy wore pretty blue ribbons in her hair!
Then we have saddled shoes with the rolled up socks! I remember owning a pair of saddle shoes when I was about four years old! I just adored them. I remember my mother trying to get me to take them off and me not letting her. I would wear them around the house all day. Then the dreaded moment of finally
outgrowing them approached and I didn't get my next pair until well into adulthood. But the situation is still the same, good luck trying to get me out of these shoes, haha!

So all this reminiscing made me want to dedicate a post just to the whole bobby soxer aesthetic! So I dug up some photos I had buried in some inspiration folders I had stored away on my computer. I love the comb tucked away into a girl's sock! You never know when you'll need to comb your hair, my guess is often, haha. And the groups of cool looking bobby soxer girls hanging out
in the middle of the hall. I wonder what all they talked about? I can only imagine it was about their favorite records and perhaps chit chatting about the cutest boys? And then this diagram about bow placement and what it tells people! I guess I'm always out to get a man because I love my bow at the top of my head!

And here we have a photo of Vicki Trickett as Abby in "Gidget Goes Hawaiian". Now she's not a bobby soxer, and this was filmed in 1961, but I just loved her look in this particular scene. Of course I'm a sucker for her cute pink nightgown! This is basically what I would have in mind as cute slumber party attire. isn't it the most! And the way her hair looks in this scene is probably my number one inspiration, and the one I based my look down below on. Her cute pink bow gives just the right
touch, don't you think? It just adds a super sweet element to an already adorable look!

We can't forget the wonderful Judy Garland as Dorothy Gale in the film "The Wizard of Oz". She wore pretty blue ribbons in her hair. First as cute pigtails in the beginning of the film up until they reach Emerald City. Then her cute pigtails turn into a long wavy hair-do. And adorning her new look was a pretty ribbon tied at the top of her hair!

And for last is a super adorable gif of our favorite little rascal Darla from "Our Gang"! I swear this is exactly how I looked like as a little child. Except maybe my fringe was a bit choppier (keep me away from scissors!). She looks absolutely precious here!
Her ribbon looks darling!

Now I know I've kinda rambled on a bit on this particular post, so I'll speed things up a bit now. So here's the basic process of this look. I took a curling wand and curl 1 inch sections of my hair. Curling downward. After curling, I sprayed my hair with some Aqua net hairspray. I then brushed it out with a paddle brush. I sprayed more hairspray and ran my hand over the waves to smooth out any fly aways. I rolled the front section of my fringe and pinned it to get that rolled bang. I then took my freshly pressed ribbon and tied it around my head! Hair's done!

For makeup I just applied a light layer of foundation on my face, buffing it in with a kabuki brush. I filled in my eyebrows as per usual. I placed a bit of brown eye shadow on my lids and took black liquid eyeliner and made small wings. A coat of mascara finishes the eyes off. And for cheeks I just used a bit of pink lipstick. I then set my entire face, except for the cheeks, with matte face powder. I topped off the whole look with a rich matte red lip! And Voila, look completed! I thought it would be fun to slip on my saddle shoes and don a pretty red circle skirt for the look!

I put on some Everly Brothers (still in shock to hear about Phil's passing) and got to snapping away some photos! very pic heavy!


Thank you so much for reading! xx

3 comments:

  1. I love this post so much T~T I love bows and ribbons in my hair, too! :3 I think the fashion in the 1920's-1950's was always really cool and interesting, especially how the bows in hair revealed whether you were single or not~ You look really great with bows in your hair! c: You're so pretty and I really like your shoes, oh my gosh<33 Would you be interested in following each other's blogs?
    -Kiyomi xx
    kokorosasa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aah you look so cute! The second I saw those shoes at the top I knew it was definitely 50s, one of my favourite styles ^^. You pull it off really well! {milkymemoir.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love shoes, I have a pair myself. Also you look darling.

    xo Precious

    ReplyDelete